Summer Research Internship at BC Cancer Kelowna
Company name: BC Cancer – Kelowna
Contact name and title: Dr. Rasika Rajapakshe, Senior Medical Physicist
Phone number: 250-712-3915
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing Address: 399 Royal Avenue, Kelowna, BC, V1Y5L3
Job title: SummerResearch Internship
Length of the work term: 4 month paid internship, full time (May-August 2021)
What we’re looking for: Undergraduate student in Computer Science/ Data Science.
Project: Medical Image Data Curation for Deep Learning Applications
Ideal candidate would be an undergraduate student in Computer Science or Data Science with Python programming experience. Experience in handling medical image data in DICOM format and/or designing/operating deep learning algorithms and/or taken COSC335 would be an asset. Some of the work (data curation and AI algorithm operation) for this project may be conducted remotely, but occasional visits to the BC Cancer – Kelowna site for training and managing hardware resources would be required.
We are still hiring for this position! If interested, please apply ASAP by emailing email@example.com with a resume and cover letter.
Hiring for SSRP students for Summer 2021 is now complete! Please check back in December 2021 for Summer 2022 postings.
Call for applications for summer 2021
The Early Detection Research Group, BC Cancer Kelowna is currently seeking interested undergraduate or medical students for summer studentships this summer. These positions are funded by UBC’s Summer Student Research Program (https://www.med.ubc.ca/current-learners/summer-student-research-program/). All accepted students will work together with Dr. Rajapakshe or another team supervisor on an application to the SSRP for funding for the position this coming summer. Both UBC undergraduate students (all years) and MD students (years 1 and 3) are eligible to apply for this position.
Following is a list of projects that are available this year (2021):
- Deep Learning Applications in Oncology for CT Scan Segmentation
- Deep Learning for Differential Diagnosis and Early Detection of Lung Cancer
- Improving Lung Cancer Wait Times
- Radiomic-based Features for Predicting Radiation Pneumonitis Development
- Validation of Artificial Intelligence models for identifying breast cancer in screening mammograms
- Validation of Volumetric Breast Density as a Risk Factor for Breast Cancer
- Image Data Curation for Artificial Intelligence Applications
- Exception handling in Deep Learning applications in breast cancer detection using mammography
Please include the following in your application:
- Cover Letter addressing the following:
- GPA percentage (minimum 80% required – no exceptions)
- Verification that you will have completed a basic statistics course by this upcoming summer. Note that preference will be given to students who have completed DATA 301.
- Brief (2-3 sentences) description of any previous research- or medical-related volunteering / experiences.
- Brief description of any summer plans you already have.
- Brief description of why you would be interested in this position.
- Any specific projects you would be interested in being involved with (see above)
- Curriculum vitae
- Unofficial Transcripts
For more information, please visit the following websites:
- UBC Faculty of Medicine Summer Student Research Program (SSRP)
- BC Cancer Early Detection Research Group website http://www.earlydetection.ca/
If you are motivated student interested in a position, all applications can be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “2021 Studentship” by no later than January 15, 2021.